Skip to main content

Erikson/Marcia TIPR

Which of Erikson's psychosocial crises are the children in the class facing (may be more than one)? Which of Marcia's identity states seem(s) to be most prevalent? What specific teacher behaviors do you observe that either help or hinder the students to successfully navigate this crisis? What more could or should be done? Be sure to underline the concept's vocabulary in your response. (Use your study guide as you go!)

I have recognized some visible instances of students facing psychosocial crises in the classroom. The one that is most noticeable is industry vs. inferiority. There are a few students who seems to lack the confidence to attempt some projects and assignments that are otherwise age appropriate. One specifically asks for help repeatedly, even on fairly simple tasks, and another student is missing a lot of assignments because he just hasn't done them. I haven't spoken directly to the student, but I get the impression that he is overwhelmed with the tasks and feels like he won't understand them or successfully complete them. The teacher is working with him. I think his self-image is that he's not a good student or doesn't care about his work, or perhaps he believes he isn't smart enough to complete the assignments. I don't get the impression that he has a high self-esteem. I feel like this student might be experiencing identify diffusion. I'm not sure he's developed an identity or sense of self and therefore his motivation is low, as well as his self-efficacy. 

Because I've spent a lot of time in the concurrent enrollment class I've noticed that that class tends to have more students who have reached identity achievement or are at least going through identity moratorium. The fact that many of these students have an idea of their interests and possible career paths seems to have helped solidify part of their identity which has, in turn, given them motivation and increased their self-image and self-esteem. Many of these students seem to have passed the industry vs. inferiority stage and are in the indentity vs. role confusion or intimacy vs. isolation stage. A lot of the students are still trying to determine who they are and are often caught in a stage of incongruence because they're trying to live up to their self-image but also trying to be who they think their friends want them to be. I see a lot of adolescent egocentrism in students who are afraid to be in front of the class or be creative because they're afraid of an imaginary audience.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Reflection

My lesson did help with the students metacognitive skills, but in the future, I'd focus more on it. I think I should have helped the students make more of a metacognitive connection. I did review the daily objective with the students, but in hindsight, I think I would have put more emphasis on it throughout the lesson--to connect the students' analysis and learning to what I had written on the board. I think that would have helped them understand how to use the tools the teacher provides, like objectives and focus attention words , (from Info Processing Unit). I could have helped them monitor their own learning by using co-regulation and shared-regulation strategies. I would have them ask their groups and peers if they could answer the "objective" question. There were a few students who felt overwhelmed with the secondary sources. Although these sources were at an appropriate level for most  students, a few that struggle with reading needed some help. I could have