Skip to main content

M&M&M Analysis

Metacognition
Through my observations, I've noticed that the students don't seem to be too engaged or accountable for their own learning. I think they're unaware of what metacognition is and how it can affect their learning. It feels as though many of them are looking for the teacher or textbook to give them an exact answer that they can memorize. They don't seem to use the daily/unit objectives to guide their study habits (even though they're written on the board and discussed daily)--rather, they fully depend on a study guide and hope the test will be multiple choice. If this was for my own class, I'd start the year/semester by spending some time on metacognitive knowledge so they would have a better understanding of declarative and procedural knowledge. Knowing how they learn best and strategies for learning would help them develop metacognitive knowledge.  However, since it will be one lesson, I'd like to make sure I begin with clear objectives so they know what they should get out of the lesson. I believe that spending a few minutes on metacognitive skills can be effective. Going over objectives for the day, reviewing what they already know, and even brainstorming questions or keywords to listen for during the discussion/activities might help them plan their learning. This can also be done as co-regulation--helping the students walk through the cycle of self-regulation. After we review objectives and make a plan, we can pause part-way through to monitor our progress. I can have the students do a quick writing to see if they can answer questions from the objectives. We can then review or re-address any topics that the students are missing. Before class is over we can again determine if we've met our goals. These formative assessments will need to be quick yet informative so that they don't take up too much time or effort but still provide feedback that will help me monitor and evaluate the lesson. This method of using in-class reflections to teach students how to use the cycle of self-regulation is offered by Dr. Saundra McGuire in this YouTube video included in the lesson from the Metacognition unit. 

Mindset
My observations regarding the students' mindsets have been less clear. Most of them seem comfortable enough to believe that they are capable of learning the answers so long as they're clearly stated through the process of a review or study guide. However, when it comes to writing assessments or activities that require higher levels of thinking they seem to lack confidence.  It appears that these more complex forms of learning and thinking are seen as fixed to the students. It's as if they believe that because they can't do them right now that they believe they aren't capable.  One way I plan to address this in my lesson is on their mid-class monitoring assessments. I'll ask for their answers to be thoughtful and done in full sentences. But I'll really stress the idea that they will get better at writing these quick, informal paragraphs the more we practice. This will be a good place for me to insert little bits about growth mindset. In my own classes in the future, I hope to include a lesson on growth vs. fixed mindset. I believe that students can benefit from being introduced to scientific studies and theories that explain how brains and intelligence can change and grow if we work them like a muscle. I particularly liked Carol Dweck's example of using "not yet" as an indicator of progress because it "gives them a path into the future." When my own kids are struggling with an activity and tell me they can't do it I often say, "You can't do it...yet!" I'd like to incorporate that into my own classroom and lessons. If someone doesn't know, understand, or can't do something, I'd like to teach my students to include, "not yet!" I also liked the "Carol Dweck Revisits 'Growth Mindset'" article by Carol Dweck that focused on the "false growth mindset." I think it's important to remember that fostering a growth mindset is a journey and not a statement and that encouraging a growth mindset is not to praise effort or accept less than best from students. 
Motivation
As I've completed these units I've really noticed the connection between metacognition, mindset and motivation. It seems as though they build on each other. Students who understand their own learning preferences and how to effectively take responsibility for their own learning are more likely to understand they are in control of their learning and that their brains and intelligence can change and develop with practice. In other words, students who understand metacognition are more likely to have a growth mindset. And students with a growth mindset are likely to be more motivated to spend the time and energy on learning if they believe that they're capable of learning new things. Of course, this relates directly to the Expectancy X-Value Theory. If students have self-efficacy they'll be more motivated to learn. But It's also important to consider outcomes because students must also feel that the value of the outcome is worth it. My observations have shown me that high school students are aroused by activities that include some social interaction, a little bit of competition, and just enough stress or pressure to encourage them to do their best. The Cognitive and Emotional Arousal Theory says that the level of arousal is different for everyone, and so I think it's important to find activities that allow students to participate at levels their comfortable with and/or to vary the types of activities so that everyone gets a chance to participate in an activity that they find fun. This isn't always possible in a single lesson or even in an entire unit. I think history lessons can easily fall into the trap of boring lectures that don't provide an optimal arousal level for students. I've noticed how much the students perk up when there is some activity or interesting presentation that arouses their senses.  I've watched them complete a short project that was engaging, the right level of difficulty, and fun enough to really get them into a state of flow. Because of this, I plan on including some technology and movie clips in a brief powerpoint, but also including an activity that will get the students engaged and having fun.  My cooperating teacher hasn't specified the date or lesson topic she'd like me to cover so I haven't had a chance to finalize plans, but I have been researching different types of activities and formative assessments that might work for a lesson. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vygotsky TIPR

What evidence do you see of specific  teacher behaviors  that are geared toward Vygotsky's theories of cognitive development? Cite specific examples and make clear connection to Vygotsky's work.  Be thorough in your coverage of the theory , addressing multiple concepts to demonstrate your understanding.  Be su re to  underline the concept's vocabulary  in your response. (Use your study guide as you go!) One of the things that I've noticed in the classroom is that the students have already learned or i nternalized concepts about freedom, democracy, and their rights. They don't have a full understanding of how these work according to the law, but that they've learned from social interactions and culture is evident when my cooperating teacher is trying to discuss other types of governments and what life would be like. I've found it really interesting that without much formal education about equality, justice, and liberty, most the students have such a firm ...

Unit 1 Metacognitive Review

1. How did you do on the Unit 1 Quiz? Why? 2. Which note-taking strategies worked well for you? Which didn't? Why? 3. Which study methods (e.g., textbook, videos, websites, interactive presentations, etc.) worked well for you? Which didn't? Why? 4. What do you need to do differently to (a) master the concepts that you missed from Unit 1 and (b) do better in Unit 2? 5. How can I help you to learn the course content better? Are there things in Unit 1 that could be improved? What should I do differently in Unit 2? 6. What have been the major takeaways from your field experience regarding the content in this unit (i.e., brain function and development, assessment, metacognition and self-regulation, intelligence, and motivation)? 1. I got 100% on my second try but missed two on my first. I had a good overall knowledge.  However, the questions that were looking for specific answers proved that I hadn't studied the specifics as well as generalities.  2. I liked bits ...

Information Processing TIPR

How does the teacher work with the students' information processing systems to promote learning? For example, how does the teacher focus students' attention, help them rehearse new information, and encourage them to encode and transfer information? Evaluate the teacher's use of wait time as part of this process. Cite specific examples and b e su re to  underline the concept's vocabulary  in your response. (Use your study guide as you go!) One way I've noticed that my cooperating teacher helps encode and transfer information to long-term memory  is through repetition, but not in the traditional boring way. She uses a variety of methods through which the repetition seems to build on basic knowledge. For example, after a brief lecture, instruction, or review of reading material, she'll have the students make a list of terminology, names, or ideas that they can think of from what they just learned. She does this in different ways (games, list making, group work, e...